With the rapid growth of bandwidth demands, data centers have to achieve ultra-high density in cabling to accommodate all connections. MTP/MPO technology with multi-fiber connectors offers an ideal solution for high-performance data networks in data centers. There are several MTP/MPO solutions, including MTP/MPO cable, such as MTP/MPO trunk cables and MTP/MPO harness cables, and MTP/MPO cassettes. And all these three kinds of MTP/MPO solutions have their own special applications and advantages. This article will give a brief introduction to them.
An MTP/MPO trunk cable is terminated on both ends with MTP/MPO connectors (as shown in the following picture). MTP/MPO trunk cables are available with 12, 24, 48 or 72 fibers. These high count MTP/MPO assemblies are ideal for backbone and data center applications that require a high fiber count in a limited space. The plug and play solutions use micro core cable to maximize bend radius and minimize cable weight and size. MTP/MPO trunk cables have several advantages:
- High quality—MTP/MPO trunk cables are factory pre-terminated, tested and packaged along with the test reports. These reports serve as long-term documentation and quality control.
- Decreasing cable volume—MTP/MPO trunk cables have very small diameters, which decrease the cable volume and improve the air-conditioning conditions in data centers.
- Time saving—With the special plug and play design, MTP/MPO trunk cables can be incorporated and immediately plugged in. It greatly helps reduce the installation time. You don’t need to terminate them in the field, which can be a time- and energy-consuming project.
MTP/MPO harness cable (as shown in the following picture) is also called MTP/MPO fan-out cable or MTP/MPO breakout cable. MTP/MPO harness cable has a single MTP connector on one end and on the other end it breaks out into 6 or 12 connectors (LC, SC, ST, etc.). An MTP/MPO breakout cable is available in 4, 6, 8, or 12 fiber ribbon configurations with various length options like 10, 20, or 30 meters and other customized lengths. MTP/MPO fan-out assemblies provide connection to equipment or panels that are terminated with ST, SC, FDDI, or ESCON connectors and meet a variety of fiber cabling requirements. Such assemblies are pre-wired available for patch panels and wall enclosures. They are designed for high density applications with required high performance. Benefits of MTP/MPO harness cable include:
- Space saving—The active equipment and backbone cable is good for saving space.
- Easy deployment—Factory terminated system saves installation and network reconfiguration time.
- Reliability—High standard components are used in the manufacturing process to guarantee the product quality.
MTP/MPO cassettes are designed to reduce installation time and cost for an optical network infrastructure in the premises environment. MTP/MPO cassette modules provide secure transition between MTP/MPO and LC or SC discrete connectors. They are used to interconnect MTP/MPO backbones with LC or SC patching. The modular system allows for rapid deployment of high density data center infrastructure as well as improved troubleshooting and reconfiguration during moves, adds and changes. Advantages of MTP/MPO cassettes are:
- Optimized performance—Low insertion losses and power penalties in tight power budget, high-speed network environments.
- High density—12 or 24 fiber cassettes can be mounted in 1U scaling up to 72 or in 3U scaling up to 336 discrete LC connectors.
- MTP/MPO interface—MTP/MPO components feature superior optical and mechanical properties.
MTP/MPO cables are a good choice for a wide variety of applications. They can be used for backbones, disaster recovery, building fiber optic distribution, quick setup of new wiring hubs, warehouses, direct termination of ribbon cables, repair of plug and play universal system solutions, and parallel optical interconnects between servers.
MTP/MPO solutions are really good choices for your high density data center applications. They are capable of thousands of connections. Fiberstore offers a wide range of MTP/MPO solutions, like MTP/MPO trunk cables, MTP/MPO harness cables and MTP/MPO cassettes. And we also provide various fiber optic patch cables, like polarization maintaining patch cables, and fiber loopback cables, etc. All those cables are pre-terminated and tested to make sure high performance.